Week 4 Composer Study: Haydn
The Creation by Haydn will be started this week. Since it is very long, we will split it up over three weeks. This week will be part 1 which is about 40 minutes long.
1. Listen to The Creation, Part 1 of 3, by Haydn.
Week 4 Artist Study: Gilbert Stuart
The next three weeks we will spend looking at the paintings of Gilbert Stuart.
1. This weeks painting by Gilbert Stuart is The Skater (Portrait of William Grant) 1782
2. Read about Gilbert Stuart in a pdf file in the InsideScoop from 2005. He painted many faces including several of our early presidents. This file includes those images.
3. Compare winter scenes of Gilbert, Avercamp and Pieter Bruegel the Elder, shown below. How are they the same? How are they different? How do they make you feel?
4. Art Lesson for this week: Make a quick sketch of students playing on a playground (or ice skating).
|The Skater by Gilbert Stuart, 1782|
|Scene on Ice by Hendrick Avercamp|